Sunday, October 7, 2007

From The French Concession To The People's Square

Since we weren’t able to really take a trip anywhere over the holiday, Friday we decided to explore a part of Shanghai known as the French Concession. I’m not really sure why they call it that, as there weren’t a lot of French people or stores there, and my book says there never were, but it was fun anyways.

We got slightly lost and so we didn’t actually manage to see any of the main attractions of the area, but as a whole it is a cool little place. Very artsy and full of cool local shops.

Afterwards we ventured towards the People’s Square which is the heart of the city and is full of big buildings that get lit up for the night.

I don’t really have much else to say, but enjoy the pictures.



None of us really knew where we were going, but luckily we had a map to help us get lost.



The Amy Store.




It really is a pretty section of town.


Creepy looking apartment complex.

A saxophone and a kick drum. Perhaps the most unusual two instruments paired together I have ever seen from a street performer.


You can find socks everywhere in Shanghai. Lots of street vendors sell them, and here is an entire shop devoted to the footwear. I'm not sure why you'd want your socks to be tasty, but if you did, I have found the place to go.


The Special Olympics are in town and they have erected all sorts of little statues in their honor.





This is outside a big financial center. I have no idea what it is.


A pretty park.


Amy enjoying some milk tea with her donuts.


You meet the strangest of people on the streets of Shanghai.


Random art work on a street corner. I thought it was interesting that they'd choose to have this girl on the phone so scantily clad.


Even China has "Mom and Pop" stores.


The French Concession did remind us of France in one way - it has beautiful tree lined streets




This was taken from the subway exit at the People's Square stop. Sorry the photo is slightly blurry, but you can see the mass of people all smashed into the walkway there.


A walkway over one of the major highways in the area.


I don't actually know what that building is.




Gotta love Samsung.

















2 comments:

kellieja said...

Nice pics. Keep em coming

JS said...

How great to see some old school faces. Tell your wife, your sister, and Brian that I said hello. Also, I know it was over a year ago, but mention to Brian and Bet how happoy I was that they came to my 30th bday party